|VW Hippie Van
My youngest son suggested a number of time that I should build a hippie van as a model. The 2010 TORCAN model show had a
'psychedelic paint' theme and I thought that a hippie van would fit perfectly. I found some photos of VW vans on the internet for
inspiration and got to work..
Base Kit(s): Hasegawa VW panel van (kit number 21209)
Finished: May 2010
- Basically and out of the box build
- The front and rear suspensions were lowered about 3 mm
- A custom printed license plate and Canadian flag (in the rear window)
- Painting is all air-brushed acrylics, except for the Zero paints clear coat, and was all done in the following order:
- white primer
- Testor's chrome yellow over everything
- splattered spots of Mr. Mask
- masked the 'stripes' with 3M 1/8 " wide masking tape and the front nose are rear 'sun' with Tamiya masking tape
- freehand orange, red, purple, pink, blue and green, including the rainbow at the rear.
- masked red stripe and green to blue abstract graphics, then painted
- Ying-yang and Peace symbol were masked with frisket paper and painted with Tamiya Smoke
- Zero paints clear coat that was sprayed to give a semi-gloss sheen
- Jimi Hendrix graphic was taken from an internet image and turned into a laser printed decal
- Torcan 2010, May, 2010, Toronto - 1st place vans/trucks, Psychedelic Paint Theme Award
- MegaCity Madness, Toronto, Sept 2010, 3rd place vans and trucks
Click on Thumbnail to see detailed image. These images are 1024 x 768 and should load reasonably quickly,
depending on your connection speed.