|Suzuki Katana Superbike Purple
I met Steve Smart at the 2010 Motorcycle Supershow event. He had purchased this bike from Wes Cooley and ridden it in Canada
for a couple of years. He was kind enough to send me some photos of the bike - this one in the purple/yellow colour scheme,
which he rode at Mosport in 1985 and a black/red colour scheme which he won at Shannonville in 1984.
The bikes were very similar and so I was pretty familiar with what was needed to make the model into a Superbike version.
Base Kit(s): Tamiya 1/12 scale 14065 Suzuki GSX1100S Katana Custom Tuned
Finished: September 2010
- left side engine cover from sheet styrene
- both footpegs, rear brake lever and gear change lever from styrene sheet and rod
- muffler from aluminum tubing
- rear swing arm and front brake caliper mounts from styrene
- flared aluminum tube added to carbs
- clutch cable arm and mounting bracket from styrene
- handlebars from copper wire
- front fender and shocks changed to incorporate brace
- carbs and front brake disks from Aoshima Kawasaki Ninja
- removed starter motor, remounted turned upside down and blended in with engine case
- chain cover had material removed and interior details added
- top of engine block modified on both sides
- new shock springs (two parts) made from wire
- rear subframe tubing changed and shock mounts relocated.
- oil dipstick top added
- front forks replaced with polished aluminum rod
- chain and gears were modified from a Yamaha YZR-M1 photoetch set and include rivets
- Detail Master braided lines and fittings for oil cooler
- exhaust springs added and engine mounting and joint under engine.
- braided lines used for brake cables and oil cooler lines with T2M banjo joints
- RB Motion rod ends for rear brake mechanism and gear shifter
- Wheels, tires and tachometer from Tamiya Kawasaki 1000 Endurance motorcycle kit
- Custom printed number plates
- Paint is Tamiya acrylic yellow on frame, Testors Plum Crazy Purple enamel on bodywork
MegaCity Madness, Toronto, Sept 2010, 2nd place Motorcycle
Ajax XXX, Ajax, ON, Oct 2010 - 2nd place Racing Motorcycle
Heritagecon 5, Hamilton, ON March 2011, 2nd place motorcycles
Kingston Modelrama, Kingston, ON, May 2011 - 1st place motorcycles
Click on Thumbnail to see detailed image. These images are 1024 x 768 and should load reasonably quickly,
depending on your connection speed.